The Minor Eye Conditions Service (MECS) provides assessment and treatment for people with recently occurring minor eye problems such as:
- Red eye or eyelids
- Dry, gritty or uncomfortable eyes
- Eye irritation and inflammation
- A lot of recent discharge from the eye or watery eye
- Recently occurring flashes or floaters
- Painful eye
- Ingrowing lashes
- Recent and sudden loss of vision
- Foreign body in the eye
It is an NHS service provided by accredited opticians (optometrists). A referral from the GP is not needed.
Who is it for?
People of any age can use the service but under-16s must be accompanied by an adult.
How do I book an appointment?
To find out more, visit Primary Eyecare. There you can find details of participating practices.
You can book the appointment yourself without needing to contact the doctor.
Telephone the opticians’ practice directly to make an appointment. Do not visit the practice without making an appointment.